This afternoon I am going to pick up Sally's ashes. She was an amazing dog and has been a constant companion of our family for over 16 years! Rather than recount the story of the pain and suffering of her last years, I would rather reflect on the lessons that she taught me.
First, she showed me how to be grateful for the little things. She was a stray that my brother found at a construction site and greatly appreciated having a roof over her head, a meal in her bowl, and a soft place to lay her head. She also taught me unconditional love. I could be disfigured by burns and she would love me still! Finally, she taught me the fragility of life. I witnessed the Vet. "putting her down" and was amazed at how fast the drug drew life from her body. In two heartbeats and one breath she was gone, but she will never be gone from my memory or will I forget the lessons this noble creature taught me!
Tony~
ReplyDeleteThose are beautiful words spoken about your friend. She was a blessing to you as you were to her. It is always hard to loose our faithful friends, but they leave a footprint on our hearts forever. I am sorry for your loss.
Your friend, Cathy Wright