Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Learning that is Familiar

I watched a PBS show this weekend about another way to learn how to play the piano.  The idea is to streamline the process by using lead sheets (not the traditional treble and base confusing sheet music) and to learn songs that you already know.  This made a lot of sense.  So, I downloaded a lead sheet for the introduction of Elton John's "Your Song" and sat at the piano and "hunt and pecked" my way through the notes.  WOW...I actually started to play the song...and three days later played it so that my wife and 9-year old piano playing son could recognize it!  I think the magic of playing a song that I know...and LOVE, is the key to picking it up so fast.  There was an immediate feedback when I hit the wrong note.  I know how it is supposed to sound!

How important is it to connect teaching and the learning experience to something that is familiar to the learner?  If it is important, then how can we enhance learning by connecting subjects (math, reading, science, etc.) to things that are familiar to the group that we are teaching?  Let me know what you think.

1 comment:

  1. Tony, I totally agree. It is very helpful to connect new material to something that is familiar. As a homeschooling mom, I am constantly trying to make the subject matter for my son relevant to his daily life, mostly by discussion. I'm always looking for new and innovative ways to "connect the dots" for him. Learning is a lifelong, enjoyable process if you let it become that.

    ReplyDelete